Fall is officially here, and Husky Nation’s hunger to get off-campus is equally matched by its love of local meals, treats, and snacks. We recently asked students, faculty, and alumni for their top recommendations in the area. Here, they share their wisdom.
Please remember to practice kindness and patience when visiting establishments, as many local restaurants are short-staffed during the pandemic, even as tourist season continues throughout the fall. Thank you, Huskies!
Get Your Coffee Buzz
One of the most requested treats for students is a good cup of coffee. Quite specifically—iced coffee. And while the local Dunks is a go-to, the Lakes Region is filled with local brews coveted by students and teachers alike.
- Cafe Monte Alto in Plymouth, NH
- Mad River Coffeehouse in Campton, NH
- Wayfarer’s Coffeehouse in Lakeport, NH
- Mello Moose in Meredith, NH
- The Purple Pit Coffee Lounge in Bristol, NH
- Looking for Dunks? There are nearby locations in New Hampton, Bristol, Ashland, Meredith, Plymouth…everywhere.
- Looking for Starbucks? The closest location is south of us at the Tanger Outlets in Tilton, NH.
Subs and Sandwiches for Classic Comfort
The most recommendations came in this category and with one place ranking highest. And for a good reason. Sandwiches are easy to grab on the go, and a hearty sub can quench the appetites of the hungriest Huskies. Check out these locations for some top-choice comfort foods.
- Biederman’s Deli in Plymouth, NH (Fan favorite!)
- Lincross in Bristol, NH
- Squam Lake Marketplace in Holderness, NH
- V’s Sandwich in Tilton, NH
- Lakeside Deli in Meredith, NH
Pizza for All
Finding the proper pizza to fit your taste can be a challenge, especially in a school community with members from over 30 countries. Some people prefer a thicker crust, some chewier, some with extra sauce, some wood-fired…the idea of what makes the best pizza is very personal. Here are the top suggestions to check out.
- Rossi’s in New Hampton, NH
- Tilton House of Pizza in Tilton, NH
- Pizza Bene in Bristol, NH
- Sub Crazy in Meredith, NH
- South End Pizza in Laconia, NH
When the craving strikes for not-typical New England fare, a world of restaurants is gaining popularity to test out. All of these received high praise from community members here in New Hampton.
- Thai Smile in Plymouth, NH
- Peek a Bowl in Plymouth, NH
- Moritomo in Concord, NH
- Asian Delight in Franklin, NH
- Cielito in Bristol, NH
- Casamigos in Tilton, NH
Time for Breakfast
One of the most beloved meals on campus is Sunday Brunch. So it’s no wonder that breakfast foods are a popular category all on their own. While some of these are often the hangouts of tourists as well as locals, they are popular for a reason—the food is delicious. Be sure to check them out!
- Gina’s Place in Bristol, NH
- Benton’s Sugar Shack in Thornton, NH
- Main Street Station in Plymouth, NH
- George’s Diner in Meredith, NH
- Our own Country Store in New Hampton, NH (for the best breakfast sandwiches around, this was mentioned repeatedly).
Looking for more?
If you need recommendations for other places to visit, your classmates, teachers, coaches, and advisor probably all have their favorites. From a great sit-down dinner to share with your parents when they visit to a great scoop of ice cream, central New Hampshire has fantastic offerings that go beyond the chain-restaurant listings. Have a friendly recommendation of your own? Share it in the comment section below.